“There isn’t really an offseason anymore,” Walczak says. “The food hub has made our shopping basket bigger, and we’re able to supply Buffalo schools for their menus all winter long.”
•Certified Organic •Fruit •Root crops •Specialty/niche crops •Ethnic crops •Other items you grow
1. Get your Good Agricultural Practices (G.A.P.s) certification.
*EVG/Western NY Food Hub and Cornell Cooperative Extension will help you with this.
2. Learn packing standards accepted by the produce markets.
* EVG/We stern NY Food Hub and Cornell Cooperative Extension will help you with this.
3. Have Good communication with EVG/Western NY Food Hub on availabilities and quantities.
4. Ensure timely delivery of product to EVG/Western NY Food Hub based on orders and needs.
5. Carry $2 million liability insurance coverage.
Eden Valley Growers can supply farms participating in the WNY Food Hub with a variety of farm and growing materials and supplies at favorable costs given the large volume of items purchased by Eden Valley.
The following materials are available:
• Peat Moss and Growing Mixes–BM series of BERGER Mixes
• Masterblend International Water Soluble Fertilizer Solutions
• Plastic Mulch–Clear, Black, White; various lengths
• Compostables–Green Thermal, Black Q-Film, Black SOLAFILM, Clear Maze, Black/Silver
• Containers–Test stock, bins, Broccoli boxes/bins, Cabbage boxes/bins, Corn boxes/bags, Cuke boxes, Display paks, Kale boxes, Lettuce boxes/bushels, Pepper/Tomato/Grape Tomato boxes, Clamshells, Geranium trays
• Additional products available upon request
Eden Valley Growers/Western NY Food Hub Contact:
David Walczak or 716.992.9721
Cornell Cooperative Extension Contact:
Cheryl Thayer or 607-592-9507